Yesterday I gave two presentations at Boston Code Camp 25, here are some notes and resources from my talks.
This is always a fun talk for me to give – and a real easy one to prepare for. Yesterday’s audience was the biggest I’ve had so far at a code camp for this talk.
Here’s the 10 points I covered in the talk:
- First a word about FTE vs. being Independent
- Know how much you need to make a month to pay your bills
- Have 3 – 6 months living expenses in savings always
- Setup a business entity LLC, S-Corp or C-Corp
- ~$500 a year for LLC in MA
- Get a commercial bank account for the business
- Credit Card
- Always use business account for business purposes
- Stay Organized (Quicken or Quickbooks)
- Get an accountant
- Get a lawyer
- Build a brand
- Consultant vs. Contractor
- Finding work
- Build your expertise
The power point can be found here: GoingIndependent6.pptx
This presentation was much better than trying to split an hour on both Web Sites and Web Jobs. However I did not get a chance to practice the whole talk a couple of times like I really wanted to.
I did get to present at least 4 ways of deploying web jobs and got to show simple demos of triggers from both the Web Jobs SDK and the Web Jobs SDK Extensions.
This Thursday I’ll be able to extend this talk more for DevBoston (http://www.meetup.com/DevBoston/events/229688772/)
The power point can be found here: AzureWebJobs.pptx